In celebration of the beginning of major renovations of their Cambridge Brands building, Tootsie Roll Industries wanted to tell the amazing story of candymaking in Cambridge in a way that was colorful, informative, and fun with a fence installation that would remain on view for the foreseeable future.
Candy has been an integral part of Cambridge history since 1820, when Issac Lum opened a store-front confectionery shop. Over the years, Main Street became known as Confectioner’s Row, peaking in 1946 with 66 candy manufacturers in Cambridge. Today, aside from a few specialty shops, Tootsie Roll Industries is the lone survivor of the city's very sweet past.
The installation incorporates illustrations by local Cambridge artist Dawn Scaltreto, and transforms a wrought iron fence into an outdoor gallery across the street from the renovated Cambridge Brands building.
20 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116